Texas School Survey
How Do We Find Out Drug Trends at Our School?
The Texas School Survey of Drug and Alcohol Use (TSS) has been conducted in Texas schools since 1988. The survey covers prevalence of substance use, factors affecting youth substance use, and students’ attitudes toward substance use. Local school district surveys are offered each year, with a statewide survey conducted every two years.
What kinds of questions does the Texas School Survey answer?
- What types of drugs and alcohol are students using?
- How much do they typically consume, and how often?
- How often do students drive after using drugs or alcohol?
- How often are drugs and alcohol used at parties?
- Where do the students get most of their information about drugs and alcohol?
- Who would students turn to if they needed help?
An additional 30 questions can be added to the TSS from the school or school district. These 30 questions will need to be reviewed and formatted by the Public Policy Research Institute at Texas A&M. These additional questions may help schools discover if hallway rumors are true. Are students really buying drugs from the fast food restaurant across the street from campus? How many students are abusing drugs during an extracurricular school function?
During the statewide survey conducted every other year (even years), individual schools are randomly selected for sampling. Each sampled school will be contacted by Texas A&M. This year, the Texas Department of State Health Services is offering a $500 incentive for sampled schools to take the survey. This means that they receive all survey materials for free and are given an additional $500. We strongly encourage sampled schools to take the survey. Help Texas students by identifying what and where services are needed. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the TSS, please don’t hesitate to call our Regional Evaluator at PRC3 at 214.522.8600 ext. 205, or Texas A&M’s research advocate at 979.845.1922.
If your school is interested in taking the survey and has not been sampled – then you may do so!
Option for District Level Report and Custom Analyses for set fee
- Districts with no schools in State Sample – $100 Basic Participation fee + $1.25/student/paper-pencil or $0.50 online
- Districts with at least 1 school in State Sample – $100 Basic Participation Fee + $0.75/student/paper-pencil or $0.25 online