Tobacco-free North Texas (TNT) is a community coalition dedicated to reducing the burden and impact of tobacco use through education, action, and smoke-free initiatives in all 19 Region 3 counties (Collin, Cooke, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Erath, Fannin, Grayson, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Navarro, Palo Pinto, Parker, Rockwall, Somervell, Tarrant, Wise). TNT’s areas of focus are prevention, education, and advocacy. To achieve our goals, we partner with agencies that share our mission, including the American Cancer Society, the Texas Health and Human Services Commission, local health departments, and other tobacco prevention providers. TNT is your community resource for tobacco, secondhand smoke, and cessation related education and information in North Texas.
GET READY FOR OUR NEXT TNT MEETING IN JUNE.
Email our Tobacco Prevention Specialist, Ashley Paramore at email@example.com for more information.
WHY WE SERVE:
Tobacco and Texas
- Tobacco use is the single most preventable cause of premature death in the U.S. and Texas
- 498,000 kids under 18 in Texas who are alive now will die prematurely from smoking
- In Texas, 15.9% of adults smoke cigarettes
- 14.1% of high school students smoke
- Every year, secondhand smoke causes over 3,000 lung cancer deaths in nonsmokers
- Breathing secondhand smoke damages your heart and blood circulation, increasing your risk of heart disease by 25-30%
- 45,000 people each year die from heart disease caused by breathing secondhand smoke
- Almost 60% of children in the U.S. are exposed to secondhand smoke
Tobacco and Youth
- 90 percent of adult smokers started before age 18
- 24,200 kids under 18 become new daily smokers each year
- 13.9% of male high school students use smokeless or spit tobacco
Sources: 2015 Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, 2006 Surgeon General’s Report: The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Secondhand Smoke, Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the National Institute of Health.
Chair, Kim-Cuong Than, BA, CPS, ICPS
Program Director, Mosaic Family Services
12225 Greenville Avenue, Suite 800, Dallas, Texas 75243
Office: 214.821.5393 firstname.lastname@example.org
Co-Chair, Ashley Paramore, APS
Tobacco Prevention Specialist, Recovery Resource Council
1349 Empire Central Dr., Ste. 800 TX 75247
Direct Line 214.522.8600 Ext. 202 email@example.com
TNT, a community coalition, believes that change is most likely to occur when the community takes a collaborative approach.
Our advocacy goals are to educate North Texas cities about the health, economic and social benefits of 100% smoke-free public places.
We also provide tobacco education and awareness events for our communities.
What it Takes to Be a Member
- Sign a community based agreement
- Fill out a contact information form
- Attend bi-monthly coalition meetings
TEAM MEETING INFORMATION:
All TNT members are required to participate on at least one team. The teams are:
Planning and Development Team
The Planning and Development Team manages the marketing functions and is responsible for coalition governance. The team serves as a communications advisor for developing content for the website, social media, printed materials and brochure. The team members, assisted by staff, are the decision makers and visionaries. They help define the role and direction of the coalition. The TNT staff may call upon the members of this team to assist with writing letters to local news editors and press releases. This team also helps with membership recruitment, involvement and planning for sustainability.
The Prevention Team coordinates TNT’s involvement with tobacco-related events including, but not limited to the following: The Great American Smokeout, Red Ribbon Week activities, Tobacco Free Kids Day, World No Tobacco Day celebrations, health fairs, and other opportunities for information dissemination.
- American Heart Association
- American Lung Association
- Americans for Non-Smokers’ Rights
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Tobacco
- Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA)
- Dallas Area Drug Prevention Partnership
- DUCK Texas
- Food and Drug Adminstration – Tobacco
- The Council on Alcohol & Drug Abuse
- National African American Tobacco Prevention Network
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- No Fuma
- Not Another 50
- Partnership for a Drug Free Texas
- Prevention Resource Center – Region 3
- Share Air
- Smoke-Free Families
- Citizens for a Smoke-Free Lewisville
- Smoke-Free Texas
- Spit it Out
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Tar Wars
- Texas Department of State Health Services – Tobacco Prevention and Control
- Texas Tobacco Law
- Texans Standing Tall
- Tobacco-Free Kids Day
- World No Tobacco Day
- Worth It?